Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Folly of Projecting Ahead

This post is inspired by frequent posts career on JDUnderground.com. http://www.qfora.com/jdu/thread.php?threadId=10893#post144413

The posts take the pattern "I hate occupation X (legal). I think I should goto occupation of (insert occupation: Nursing, Construction, Finance..." Because of a real or perceived shortage and currently available jobs.

This seems to be the trend. Posters/People stand here(today) and look there(tomorrow). The general problem is the landscape changes. When I was in high school there was supposed to be a shortage of accountants. So, when I went to college I studied accounting. The college powers-that-be took the requirement of Engineering Calculus away, then everyone flowed into accounting. By the time I got into the field there were no jobs. There was also a shortage in the legal field until they went from 100 to 200+ law schools in a 25 to 30 year period. Ten years ago there was a projected nursing shortage. To increase the nursing occupation's size: class size, online schools, schools, and nursing immigrants numbers were increased. I think the next bubble will be financial and construction workers. Don't goto a shortage occupation. By the time you get to "there"; it will be gone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was no shortage of lawyers 30 years ago. I have studied the economic history of the legal profession in both the U.S. and the U.K. It has been a tough racket all the way back to the 1800's.

Like Franklin quipped, any town that cannot support one lawyer can always support two.

atif here said...

Migration Lawyer Perth, This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs…

david said...

A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Domestic Violence Attorney in Albuquerque

Haris said...

Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. Domestic Violence Attorney